Wednesday, December 19, 2012

Fiscal Cliff, Shmiscal Cliff: To compromise, or not...

SEQUESTRATION. Oh, okay. I see you aren't scared by that word. What if I told you that it was another name for the FISCAL CLIFF? Yep, your all terrified now. Peeing your pants, I bet. But why is this all so scary for the common American. I'll let you know. Not only will this raise the taxes of average americans by a couple thousand dollars each year, it will also signify a watershed change in the attitude of congress. We are truly a nation divided. Civil Wars and Civil Rights aside, you basically have a country that, instead of sitting down to talk politics, puts its hands over its ears, and goes "LA LA LA LA LA LA LA LA I CAN'T HEAR YOU!" at the first sign of political discourse that borders on reasonable or moderate. I have many republican friends. I use them to help me hone my discussion points, because if I were to stay within an ideological bubble, it would weaken my debating and discussion skills to the point that I would sound like an ignorant youtube commentor, throwing slurs around with the greatest of ease. Unfortunately, one could almost see today's congress as a discussion board online. And that is why we need action, not reaction. Sit down, open your computer, contact your representatives in the house and senate, and let them know that compromise is actually a good thing, not a sign of surrender. That going across the aisle to work with a different party shouldn't mean the end of their political career. And that you pledge to support them in their reelection bid, but only as long as they can find a way to work together. Use the hash tag #CongressCompromise on twitter to let others know. And please, for the love of (God/Yahweh/Allah/Buddha/Zeus/Jupiter/Cthulhu/Satan/Undecided/Atheism) just don't let congress gridlock on our future. It's too important.

K

No comments:

Post a Comment